Hurst Peirce + Malcolm LLP were asked by Waitrose to provide civil and structural engineering services for the extension of their existing store in Sidmouth. The brief was to:
- Increase the sales floor and back of house area.
- Extension of the car park into raised ground requiring retaining walls.
- Below ground drainage and attenuation tanks
- Design retaining structures to meet public highway standards.
- Relocation of public highway around car park extension
- Plant support steelwork on the roof
The store extension is of steel framed construction and is supported on strip and pad foundations with a ground bearing floor slab.
The relocated road was at a higher level requiring reinforced concrete retaining walls designed for vehicular impact due to its close proximity to the public highway.
The existing timber crib retaining wall was also extended around sections of the new car park.